When I'm not photographing or with my family, I get lost in pop- impressionism oil paintings. Check out some of my work here.
Newly engaged and in love! What’s the next step for most? A Pittsburgh Engagement session. Are you searching for perfect Pittsburgh Engagement Session Locations? You are in luck! Over the years, I’ve taken thousands of engagement photos for couples just like you! One of the first questions I ask my clients is about their engagement session!
Specifically, Do you have a specific time of year you’d like these photos to be taken?
What vibe do you want to capture (urban, nature, or somewhere in between?)
There are MANY more questions our clients ask me, read more Engagement Session FAQ’s here (it’s a really good post, promise).
This post is about Pittsburgh Engagement Session Locations! There are SO many great options when selecting your engagement session location, especially in Pittsburgh. Here are a few of my top requests and suggestions for a more urban, downtown session.
2. Strip District – What used to be an especially gritty part of downtown Pittsburgh is now a sleek and totally invigorated area! There are posh shops, excellent eateries and city views for DAYS. If you still want some of the original city feeling, there are also areas with street vendors, unique stores and open air market types of establishments. All the new residential spots offer newer architecture and dimension to what was once mostly open areas! You can also stop for lunch or dinner after your session, giving you a two for one date night! Win. Win.
3. Mt. Washington – I would be remiss if I didn’t mention a classic Pittsburgh engagement session location, Mt. Washington! There are two beautiful overlooks and several restaurants where a perfect engagement session takes place. There are also several stunning parks and trails to use. If you are a cityscape lover, you will be hard pressed to find a more stunning locale. Bonus points for Mt. Washington, Jaime and I got engaged there! Holds a special place in our hearts.
4. North Shore – The North Shore is not just for Steeler Fans and Pirate Enthusiasts! There is lovely architecture, up close views of the rivers and gorgeous walkways abounding. I would be lying if I didn’t say my most avid Pittsburgh sport team fans didn’t request photos by Heinz Field (or Acrisure? What’s that?). Yet there is much more of the North Shore to Enjoy and Capture!
5.Allegheny Commons Park/Mexican War Streets- Just a hop, skip and a jump away from the North Shore is one the BEST city parks there are in Pittsburgh. The spring and the fall are especially gorgeous, and some of my very favorite engagement sessions have been in this park! There are iron wrought fences, rolling hills, stone bridges and HUGE gorgeous trees all over. After we get our fill of nature, a short walk lands you in one of the most up and coming neighborhoods in the city, the Mexican War Streets. These gorgeous homes are mostly historic landmarks and have been renovated with the best taste. You feel like you’re on a posh Brooklyn street without ever leaving our great state of Pennsylvania!
6. Washington’s Landing – I discovered this incredible location several years back and have not stopped using it since. Technically an island, Washington’s Landing is lush with greenery, stone staircases and is basically every photographer’s dream. Clients love this hidden location as it is rarely busy and is so photogenic. Be sure to visit, even if you opt for a different session location. It’s not to be missed.
7. South Side – If you are in to the Pittsburgh party scene, you likely already know about the South Side. East Carson Street is famous for its hundreds of bars and restaurants. BUT, just steps away from this busy street, is a wonderful city neighborhood full of character and charm! Unique doorways, seasoned trees and city murals. Don’t sleep on the South Side, it’s one of a kind!
8. Lawrenceville – I remember Lawrenceville when it was mostly abandoned and sketchy. Visit there now and you’d never know it wasn’t always the IT neighborhood in town. There are fun shops, amazing eateries (Picolo Forno, anyone?) and a vintage bowling alley that you MUST go to. Homes are being sold and renovated and bought quicker that you can believe and for good reason! You can’t beat the commute to downtown Pittsburgh.
9. Market Square – The heart of downtown Pittsburgh, this is a special place. The trees, cobblestone streets and intimate feeling you get when here is like none other. You can walk to the cultural district quickly from here and don’t forget to check out the PPG buildings as well. Stunning!
10. Point State Park – Last but not least, Point State Park is GORGEOUS. There is no shortage of location options that show the river, the North Shore, Station Square and the city. There are trails, trees and flowers and a HUGE fountain that is on in the spring and summer months.
All photography by me, Steven Dray Photography!
Stay tuned, if you’re interested in Pittsburgh nature engagement session locations, that post is to come soon. 🙂